To stir curiosity through marine research, education, and a blend of science and art inspired by John Steinbeck, Ed Ricketts, and their journey on the Western Flyer.
We share Steinbeck and Ricketts’s vision of an interconnected world, where species are bound together, and curiosity about life is an abiding source of inspiration to understand and protect it.
- Curiosity. We aim to spark joy and curiosity in science and the ocean in a way that is holistic, incorporating art, literature, and other humanities.
- Inclusivity. We embrace, respect, and celebrate working with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and beliefs and prioritize serving students with limited access to hands-on, experiential programs.
- Collaboration. Building community and collaborating with local partners is a core feature of all our programs.
- Adaptability. We are open to exploring new ideas, taking risks, learning, and adapting as needed.
- Objectivity. We foster objective, reliable, and innovative research.
- Stewardship. We are stewards of the historic Western Flyer and work to instill an environmental stewardship ethic in students and researchers by increasing awareness and connection to the ocean.