Complete the form below to subscribe to the Western Flyer Foundation newsletters.
- A letter from the Board PresidentDear Supporter, We need your help! We are oh-so-close to getting the boat in the water and ready for her trip to her new home in Monterey, California, but there are still a few missing pieces. Look how far we have come. For years, Western Flyer languished in the waters of Puget Sound, forgotten and unloved, where she could have easily been mired in the muck, just one of the countless derelict wooden boats that you see in the area. The thought scares me, but she could easily have been lost to us forever. Instead, despite her unpromising appearances five […]
- “Let’s go wide open.”Susan Shillinglaw, professor of English at San Jose State Univeristy and founding board member of the Western Flyer Foundation, reads her favorite section from the introduction to the Log From the Sea of Cortez.
- The Western Flyer Foundation’s Community Journal ProjectThis school year, the Western Flyer Foundation is piloting the Community Journal Project with students in Monterey County. This project focuses on environmental literacy through the integration of art, science, and creative writing. Middle and high school students work with art and writing mentors as they create Community Journals. The curriculum for this program is modeled on Steinbeck and Ricketts’s ideas about full “participation”—careful observation and reading—as well as Ricketts’s discussions of ecological levels from his Outer Shores Transcript. Learn more about the project here: www.westernflyer.org/research-and-education/teachers/community-journal-project
- “All things are one thing, one thing is all things.”In this episode of Stories, Shorts and Outtakes of the Western Flyer, artist and Western Flyer Foundation advisory board member, Ray Troll, reads from The Log from the Sea of Cortez. This passage inspired Ray to create an original piece of artwork, which can be purchased on a t-shirt here: https://www.trollart.com/product/tide-pool-to-the-stars/
- Introducing Stories, Shorts and Outtakes of the Western FlyerChris Chase introduces a new playlist on the Western Flyer Foundation’s YouTube channel, where you can find stories from folks who are involved in the Western Flyer Foundation and the restoration of the Western Flyer. Subscribe to the Western Flyer Foundation Channel for a new episode each week.